Friday, September 26, 2008

Little Chayser Man

Yesterday Chayse's knees were hurting and swollen and he couldn't kneel down on them. He was being brave and said he was fine to play soccer (though I am pretty sure its because he didnt want to go to the doctor.) They ended up getting worse at soccer and he was in a lot of pain afterwards. We also noticed some red spots on his belly and they were appearing slowly. We first thought, CHICKEN POX...but then it just didn't really look like chicken pox. They started to spread out of the circle shape and welt up. It was really weird. So this morning I checked him out and the swelling in his knees had gone down but started in his ankles, which were now swollen and red. His wrists had marks on it and were a little swollen as well. We took him into the doctor and they started throwing around jeuvenile rheumatoid arthritis and lupus and I started freaking out. They ran a urine test to rule out any infection with the kidney and that came back clear, so thank heavens for that. Chayse's doc was out of town, so we went and saw Dr. Bell who has been there a few months, but is a pretty new doctor, so he went and got a second opinion from a more experienced doctor there. He came in and checked Chayse out and said he needed to go get bloodwork done at the lab at the hospital. His thinking is that its HSP , Henoch-Schonlein Purpura. The doctors are thinking it should go away on its own after it runs its course. Chayse does have arthritis right now as a symptom of HSP but it should go away along with the HSP. He said the HSP may come and go, but hopefully he can just be rid of it! He still wanted us to get the bloodwork done to make rule out Lupus, and to verify his diagnosis. We should get those results back Monday or Tuesday. He was such a brave boy when he had to get his blood taken. He definitely cried, but calmed down pretty quickly and said, " I can't want to do that again for some time!"
Please keep Chayse in your prayers. Please pray that its nothing more serious and that the arthritis pain will go away quickly, and that the HSP doesn't effect his kidneys in any way. Chayse has been such a trooper today with getting poked and prodded and taken out of his comfort zone. Im getting tears in my eyes as I type this..because he had such a hard morning and yet the only thing he has done since we got home is ask me if I am ok, tell me he loves me, thank me repeatedly for taking him to get better and constantly looking at me and smiling at me and blowing kisses. He is such a strong little boy and has handled the pain really well. Heavenly Father really blessed me with an amazing little boy. Anyway, I will keep you posted as to what the results are at the beginning of next week. For now we just keep him on Ibuprofen for the swelling and try and have a fabulous weekend! Hope you all do too!

9 comments:

Jamie said...

Of course we will include him and the rest of you in our prayers..poor guy!

Please keep us posted..it is the worst thing to not be able to take away your childs pain.
Hang in there Chayse..you sure are a sweet boy!

Tegan said...

O my goodness....Nicole I am so sorry. Everything will be okay and work out. Call me this weekend when you have minutes. Tell Chayse we say hi and we will keep him in our prayers. I heart you!

Ashlie said...

Wow, that is one brave little guy! Keep us posted...

Jill W said...

How scary! I hope everything works out okay and he gets feeling better soon!

The Reese Family said...

oh Nicole that breaks my heart!! I will keep him in our prayers. If there is anything I can do let me know. Keep me posted. Good luck.

Lindsay Kay said...

Oh man! Nicole, I am so sorry. Keep us updated. We will pray for all of you. Hang in there. And give that super sweet spirited little boy extra sweets and together time. Love you.

Brandon and Lynsay said...

Oh friend, I am so sorry to hear about lil Chayse! It is so awful when your child is in pain, what a sweet kid to ask how you were doing. Children are truly amazing, hang in there and we will definently keep him in our prayers!! xoxo

Jacque said...

Okay! Why haven't I called you today so that I could hear this first-hand or at least be of some help! We will pray for Chayse and you guys! Call me if you need anything. The sit around and wait is torture- I am so sorry!

Christy said...

Ahh, poor little guy!! Of course I will keep him in my prayers! I hope he feels better soon and that everything will be fine!