Yesterday at Alexa's "after hospital check-up" at her pediatrician's office, we found out that her bili ruben levels had gone up a lot higher than they would have liked, from when they tested her the day she went home. So, that meant someone had to come over and set her up on bili lights. I ofcourse started bawling because that meant someone was telling me I couldn't hold my baby girl except for eating and diaper change. She has to be on them 24-7. I was so so sad, but I knew it was the best thing for her. She started on them around 6:00 and didn't like it at first..but then got used to it. Up until later last night and the early morning feedings, we would have to wake her up to feed her, and she was just sleeping constantly. Her poopy diapers had also come to a halt yesterday, until the last 3 or 4. She is starting to wake up on her own to eat but is still sleeping in good 3.5 hr chunks! Because she is more awake, alert, and having more dirty diapers, we are hoping that her levels have gone down. We took her in this morning to have it checked again, and we should know the results later today. If they have gone down, she will only have to be on for two more days, but if they have drastically gone down..only 8 more hours..which I am ofcourse rooting for! :) Cross your fingers for her!
On another note..I just wanted to say that breastfeeding is really hard! We tried with Chayse and because he was preemie it was really hard for him to get the hang of it, and it was stressing me out..so we bottle fed with formula. This time I am determined to breastfeed! (though we have had to supplement a few bottles of formula to help her bili ruben levels decrease.) anyway..if anyone has any advice on how it may be made easier, please fill me in! I feel like Im constantly engorged and pumping doesnt relieve it all; it only gets a little bit. All of you who have done it..please help!!!
Other than that..things are great! Im recovering well, not as sleep deprived as I thought I would be..and slowly adjusting to figuring out how to care and love for two little ones!

4 comments:
She is a beautiful baby I seriously can't even get over it. Sorry, I have never breastfed so I don't have any tips. I just know from all my friends that the first month or so can be rough:-) Good luck and I can't wait to see more pictures and the birth story when you get a chance!
Just stay relaxed. Baby can tell when mommy is stressed out. I could relax best when we layed down on the bed... hope that helps
She is sooooooo stinking cute. I love the sis/bro picture!!! I can't believe she is here. CONGRATS!!!
Hi Nicole! Congrats on your baby girl! I saw your post that she was born so I checked out your myspace page, then I saw you had a blog! Anyways.. I read how you are breastfeeding..I know exactly how you feel with the engorgement!! I went through the same thing!! It was soo hard... I wanted to give up soo bad, but I didn't. And I am so glad that I didn't! Check out the website Kellymom.com it has lots of good advice! I used cold compresses after every feeding or pumping. After about a week the engorgement finally went down. Anyways hope everything continues to go good... your little family is adorable by the way!
Holly
Post a Comment