Alexa's birth!
On Thursday, Feb 7..I had my doctor's appt at 3:45. They were running really behind because my doctor was in a delivery. So they gave us some coupons for the inconvenience and we headed off to the cafeteria for a little snack. I was a little hungry, but just decided to wait til we got home because nothing really looked good. (Though I wish had eaten something!). So we got back to the office and waited a few minutes, then went in. My blood pressure was 156/88 I believe and I had gained 4 pounds in a week..which for me was crazy just becuase the last few appts I hadn't gained anything. So we got into the little room, and waited to hear what the doc had to say. She came in and checked my cervix..and it was a good 4 cm. With the fact that she was going to be out of town for 5 days, my blood pressure was high and I was over 38 wks..she said, " Ok..lets induce you!" I figured I had the night, and would come back in the morning, or at least I could go home and relax for a bit til they were ready for me. Oh no, she said to head straight on up!As long as I was waiting to hear these words, as soon as I heard them, I was in shock. My baby is coming today? I have to go right now? All these thoughts were running through my head. We had Chayse with us, and so we called his mom to come get him. We headed up to the Labor and Delivery floor, and I think Chayse could tell something was up. He was ALL over the place..hyper as can be! I had to give a urine sample, and so I put it up on the counter. Well Chayse was thirsty and decided he needed a drink. I guess I didn't put it back on the counter far enough..because Brandon barely caught him in time before he took a swig of what he thought was apple juice! :) Good thing Brandon was so quick! :)
We settled in after Chayse left and awaited the upcoming pain! I guess my veins aren't "good veins" and they ended up having to do an IV on the top of my hand..and I didn't like it too much because it just was a constant ache. What a baby I was being..compared to the pain I was going to experience in a few hours. Anyway, at about 6:00 pm they started the pitocin, and I was holding strong and managing the pain really well. We just hung out, watched TV and talked. The doctor came in and broke my water around 8:45, and let me tell you, I just hate that feeling! After she broke my water, I think I was at a 6 and the pain started to get really intense, really fast! I tried to hold out, but broke down and needed an epidural around 9:15 or so. I was worried because my past experiences with an epidural weren't good ones..meaning they didnt work when they needed to. This anesthesiologist was really great and put in an awesome epidural. He did something different where he gave me fentynol (sp?) first..which was a quick pain fix, and then followed up with the epidural. I loved it because he was able to get me out of pain and able to relax a little bit while he finished the rest of the epidural. Let me tell you, I was feeling FABULOUS! Life was great and for a teensy second..I could see why people got addicted to pain meds. At 10:15 they checked me and I was at a 7..still resting easy and lovin life! Even though I was dialating just fine, she wasn't dropping at all. The nurse said that babies are so very smart and sometimes they know not to drop til the last minute; like if the cord was around the neck, they would wait so it wouldn't stress them out to the point of putting them in danger. It was great to be able to relax and rest up before the main event.
So, 10:45 rolls around and the nurse decides its time to empty my bladder. She does so, and I start to feel intense pain on my right side. Oh great..here we go again! A repeat of the non working epidural! I started freaking out..but the nurse said the epidural works a lot on gravity so that I needed to lay on my right side and she would give me an extra pump of the epidural to help. I did so, and started to feel better, but at the same time started to feel a ton of pressure! I guess emptying my bladder was all Alexa needed to get her going! She checked me and I was at a 10 and fully efaced and +1 station! She said," Ok..we are going to have a baby!" Brandon was totally caught off guard and started saying, " ok..ok..alright." haha! We both figured my labor would be longer than it was, but hoping it wasn't as long as my labor with Chayse.
The doctor came in, and they hurried to get everything ready, while we worked out the recording/camera duties! Brandon was very worried about not getting to cut the cord and he really didn't want to miss seeing the placenta..(guys are so interesting)..so one of the techs offered to come up by my shoulder and videotape and Brandon agreed to take pictures with the camera..cuz you know..I would be busy pushing out a baby and all. I was totally numb when they were setting up and that worried me because I couldn't feel when I needed to push, but when the time came to do it a couple minutes later..I could feel a small amount of pressure.
I pushed a few times through one contraction, got cheers and great coaching from my husband..and out she came! The cord was wrapped once around her neck, so the nurse was right. Alexa held out til last minute before coming down! Anyway, I pushed for less than a minute! It was so amazing to hear that little cry come from my daughter! I was so in love, the minute I heard that cry and when they placed her up on my stomach! Brandon was able to cut the cord and did great, shaky hands and all!
Alexa was born at 11:11 pm..and I think that is a fun and special time! Everything checked out great with her and I was able to have her right back! What a great feeling that was! NO NICU! :) I was able to start nursing her right away, and loved that instant bond and connection!
So that was her birth story, and now I have to share a little story that gets me teary eyed even thinking about it now. A lot of the times when Chayse was going to bed, I would sing to him. Mostly just randomly naming off his favorite characters from movies and Playhouse disney..he would request it all the time. Then he got into Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and I remember one night I probably sang it 50 times easily, til he fell asleep. Well, when we were in our hospital room, Alexa started crying and I just put her up to my face and kissed her cheek and started singing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, and right away she stopped crying and her and I just snuggled. What a great feeling to know that she was listening while she was in my stomach..taking part in our bedtime song.
All in all, Alexa is doing great! Her jaundice is going away and she only had to be on the lights for a couple days. She is nursing fabulously now, and sleeping so great! I truely feel so blessed to have had such a great birth experience with her and that she is so healthy. I love this little girl so much and we are so happy she is here! Chayse is adjusting better and better every day. He loves his little sister and wants to be apart of everything having to do with her. He told us he would save her at the doctor if she had to get any shots. He hates to see her cry, and would hold her 24-7 if he could.
.
We thought this was our last one..but with such a great birth experience..you never know..there could be another lil Leavitt waiting for us to bring their sweet spirit to this earth!
. 

3 comments:
I love reading birth stories! I was planning to go without epidural with Kaitlin too, but that didn't happen. Once I was dilated to a 5 I was like where is the drugs!! It was too much for me to handle! Alexa is soo adorable.. I love baby girls!! Your little Chayse is the cutest little boy!
Oh and I love the custom headers you do!! How do you do them? I see them all the time and I think they are soo cute!
Fun story! She is a beautiful girl adn that is awesome you only had to push for a minute. Seriously, that is my biggest fear, pushing for 2.4 hours!!!
Post a Comment