So lately..we have been getting a lot of this.....
(ATTITUDE... if you didnt get it!)
Once he fills up the other can...
I am mean..its sitting on our counter. Tempting him. Taunting him. Making him ask me repeatedly if he can help me so he can get another stick. I love it!
will be the end result...24/7!
(ATTITUDE... if you didnt get it!)So I needed a solution. I talked to a friend or two, put my own spin on it..and here it is!
I put these together tonight. If he makes a good choice by making his bed on his own, helping his sister, eating all of his dinner, brushing teeth, cleaning up his messes, LISTENING, etc...then he gets to put a good choice stick in the other can.
He gets this:
Some of you may disagree with my method. You may have the question I did at first. "Will he only do things if he ends up getting something in the end?"
I guess that is possible, but along with that possibility is the likelyhood that it will also become a habit. That it will become second nature to pick up his toys or to brush his teeth without being asked. Children are very habitual creatures, and if shown something multiple times..chances are they will just do it. I also want him to realize that good consequences come with good choices, and not focus so much on the negative aspect. IE: If you dont clean your room you will get a timeout. I would rather say to him in a positive way "Hey buddy if you clean your room you get another good choice stick!" Sounds so much better huh? :)
Hopefully this...
I know I know..wishful thinking on the 24/7 part right? Haha!
Cant post without a pic of the diva! Dirty shirt and all! :) (the girl refuses to wear a bib half the time anymore)

9 comments:
I am totally going to copy this idea, brilliant! Thanks Nicole!
Good luck Nicole. Let me know how it turns out. We're having the same problem. He's learning so many "fun" things from school. So, if this works let me know. I'm getting pretty desperate!
I think it's a great idea!
Love this idea! What is it about this age? 4 years old has been rough in the attitude department, I think 3 was harder with tantrums and fits, but 4 is all about dishing out the attitude! Lol! I think I might give this a go around for our house too. Thanks for sharing!
Great idea, and I love that you decorated the cans to keep the sticks in! totally something I would do :)
I think this is a fantastic idea! I'm going to remember this one for future reference... You're a genius, Nicole!
I think you are a great mom and that is a really great idea. I will have to remember that one. I hope it continues to stick with him. I'm sure it will for the most part. Miss ya!
What a great idea! I have had to do things like this it works ! Your a great mom !
Let me know how this turns out! Cam could SO benefit from this...!!
Post a Comment