Sunday, August 2, 2009

Tony's Grove Campout

We just got back from camping at the beautiful Tony's Grove. It really is the most beautiful camping place I have been! The wildflowers are insane and I want to do a set of bridals up there because is just looks heavenly up there! Another fabulous thing about it is that I didn't see one mosquito the entire time! Gotta love that! I didn't take my camera up. I know..it's unbelievable. I didn't want to have to worry about my camera getting dirty or ruined and whenever I do take my camera, the photographer in me thinks "everything is a picture moment" and I take way too many pictures and get overwhelmed. So I left the picture taking to the others!
Tony's Grove Lake
(taken by Justin)
Tony's Grove Lake
(taken by Justin)
Dawn at Tony's Grove
(taken by Justin)
Thursday night we got up there and hung around the campfire, roasted hot dogs and had s'mores. We went to set up our tent and realized we didnt have any of the poles or stakes for it! We hadn't touched the thing in two years except to move it so we were suprised they werent in there. Luckily Gary brought a couple of extra tents and figured we could squeeze into one. Well the guys went back up to put it together and they were gone for a little longer than we thought they should be. They came down and were being a little secretive but wouldn't tell us what was up. So we went up there to go to bed and my jaw dropped because our tent was set up. What the heck? We searched everywhere for those things. Where did they find then? Justin tried to tell me they held hands and prayed for the poles to show up and when they opened their eyes they suddenly had appeared in Justin's hands. Ya whatever! I guess the other "tent" that Gary had brought was actually our poles that ended up in a tent bag last time we went camping. However it happened, I am glad they ended up finding them! Haha!It was freezing that night and I hardly slept. I learned my lesson the next night and we wore put our hoods on from our sweatshirts and that helped keep us warm. Alexa doesn't sleep if she is in bed with someone, so we had to put her in her pack and play and I was worried the first night that she was going to freeze to death and I couldn't sleep. Well she didnt freeze and she slept quite soundly the second night especially.
Friday we morning we got up early and went fishing. Chayse's Cars fishing pole from walmart was a complete joke..(don't get one! It came in a little case and I thought it would extend out further, but nope...it was a sorry excuse for a fishing pole!) Poor little Chayse was so set on getting a fish and his pole was a stubby one and he couldn't cast it further than the end of his feet. He was so excited and kept saying " Mommy I am going to catch a big fish!!" Jordan and Justin were a big help on teaching me the basics on fishing. I hadn't ever been and I loved it. My fishing pole got tangled up somehow, so Justin let me use his and Taylor's. Taylor is my 5 year old niece and she can cast better than most adults I would say! We didnt catch anything but the experience was fun!
After fishing and breakfast Justin and Jenny's family, Gary, Brandon and Chayse went on a hike. I stayed back with Alexa, LaDonna, Travis and Jamie. While they were hiking we sat on our butts the whole time and chatted about life. I am pretty impressed with the hikers! They were gone for 6 hrs I think and hiked about 10 miles. The kids (a 5 yr old and two 3 yr olds) made it most of the way and were carried a little bit. I cant believe it though! Jenny and Taylor were the ones pushing everyone to make it to the top! Good job guys!
They got back from hiking and we had dutch oven chicken and potatoes! So freakin good! We hung around, made smores, played horseshoes and talked. We headed to bed that night and like I said earlier, were much warmer and I slept pretty well considering that we were camping!

The next morning we got up, had breakfast and packed up camp and headed home. My kids were seriously covered head to toe in dirt and I couldn't wait to get them bathed! I love camping but definitely love getting home and cleaned up!

Til next year...
(Pictures taken by Justin and LaDonna. Thanks!)

No comments: